Bahia Drake Cruise Port
Port of Bahia Drake: An Overview
Bahia Drake (or Drake Bay) is a remote area, located on the northern side of Costa Rica's Osa Peninsula. This is the Costa Rica you've come to see -- secluded beaches at the edge of lush green rainforests, scarlet macaws flying among the treetops and the promise of monkeys and venomous snakes hidden just within the jungle.
The main attraction here is Corcovado National Park, one of Costa Rica's largest national parks and a huge conservation area. It's accessible to cruise travelers via tours that transfer passengers by boat to the park's beachside entrance; guides lead nature walks in the hopes of spotting elusive exotic creatures. Other adventure tours -- snorkeling or canopy tours -- are also popular here.
You will find no cruise ship dock in Bahia Drake; instead the small ship cruise lines that stop here tender passengers to shore, often on Zodiac boats.
Zodiacs drop you at a bayside hotel, where you can find walking paths to a village with a few restaurants, several beaches and a hike along the river. Most people opt for active shore excursions, including nature hikes in the national park, snorkeling, ziplining, horseback riding and mangrove tours -- otherwise they plan a day at the beach. With the exception of a crafts vendor right at the hotel, there are no shopping opportunities.
--By Erica Silverstein, Senior Editor
Currency & Best Way to Get Money
Spanish is the official language, though some vendors (and all cruise ship tour guides) speak English.
- Largest Ship To Transit Canal BillB48
- Is it worth paying for a balcony for panama canal? CruiserBruce
- Canal: Interesting History, Background, etc.??!! Crusin5252
- Building of the Canal CruzKnitr
- Has anyone on here yet cruised thru the NEW locks? BillB48
- The Path Between the Seas BillB48
- Dock locations on Fl to Ca cruise on X? Kamloops50
- Panama Canal Cruise Alaskanb
- Florida to LA or San Francisco Essiesmom
- Transportation to ports in CR and Panama BillB48