Amapala Cruise Port
Port of Amapala: An Overview
The port of Amapala, Honduras -- located on the volcanic island of Isla del Tigre in the Gulf of Fonseca -- is a newcomer to itineraries that include Central America. Formerly Honduras' capital city, Amapala was originally Honduras' only Pacific Coast port, but over the years, operations moved elsewhere.
A cruise facility is expected to open in Amapala in 2018, and as part of a multimillion-dollar project to refurbish the area, the port's existing dock has been upgraded, along with three local parks.
Beaches: Playa El Burro offers calm waters for swimming, Playa Grande is the largest beach and Playa Negra is where you'll find black sand. All offer nearby dining options that range from food stands to brick-and-mortar restaurants.
Town Church: Built in the 1800s, this historic, bright-yellow Catholic church is a must-see for theology- and history-lovers alike.
Hiking: A hike up La Cima peak takes anywhere from two to three hours, and it's ideal for active types who prefer an outdoor alternative to sun and sand.
Currency & Best Way to Get Money
Currency in Amapala is the Honduran lempira.
Spanish is the primary language in Honduras.
--By Ashley Kosciolek, Editor
Photo courtesy of Rilien via Tripadvisor
- Fishing trips in the caribbean sarar
- Horseback Ride & Swim Grand Turk vs. Half Moon Cay ReillyPup
- Day on the water versus day touring the island- St. Thomas or St. Marteen/Martin???? blue_water
- Nassau & Half Moon Cay vs St. Thomas & San Juan lovevacadays
- Atlantis - Nassau lovevacadays
- Fun Day With Kids In Nassau ** Any Suggestions ** mitsugirly
- Best cruise line for a Caribbean cruise easyboy
- Pearl Island or Blue Lagoon Island??? mitsugirly
- Leaving from Texas or miami DisneyPrincess16
- Bequia/St. V.: Pix's, Fun, Experiences Jan./2015! TLCOhio